Re: [aroid-l] common pothos

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] common pothos
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:49:41 -0500

So where is Peter when we need him !!!

My impression is that flowering only occurs when the plant has got a lot of
growth under its belt and is about as far up its support as it can get. The
only time that it has flowered for me was when it unexpectedly did so in the
late 50s on a fairly small tree in Coconut Grove- and gave Monroe Birdsey
all manner of goosebumps and chances to publish descriptions. Perhaps it
likes to come off its support and hang down before it flowers.

I did play around with growth regulator treatments in containers some years
ago, and as I remember did get a vastly malformed tiny inflorescence with
gibberellic acid - but it didn't seem worth pursuing (actually I can't
remember if I had a serious thought in mind when I tried it, or if it was
idle curiosity).

The unfortunate escapes and possible problems in South Florida, I am sure,
come from illegal dumping  of vegetative pieces, which are very willing to
grow. A pity that it is giving a great plant a bad name.   Derek