Re: [aroid-l] common pothos

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] common pothos
  • From: "Plantsman" plantsman@prodigy.net
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:29:30 -0500

I've seen them just as you described on the eastern side of the
island of Maui, Hawai`i.  They cover the trunks of the trees and go
up fairly high.   I've seen them at least thirty feet up into the
trees and the leaves are totally different from the juvenile stage.
They are over a foot across, almost square and deeply divided.
Their color is a golden-yellow with faded green variegation.

Most that I've seen were in full sun for the morning but were shaded
by their tree during the mid-day and were in the shade of Haleakala
volcano for the late afternoon.   This area gets rain nearly every
day or two, so it's a very lush rainforest area.   I've never
noticed any flowers on the mature specimens that I've looked at, but
then again, they may be way up high in the tree.   Maui has big
brown or blue centipedes over 4 inches long that will put you in the
hospital and they like to live in such places!

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN  (Zone 6)