Re: [aroid-l] A titanum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A titanum
  • From: Kiehlmann@gmx.de
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:37:36 +0100 (MET)

I like to underline what Julius Boos has written.

About 12 years ago we ( my and I ) began with growing of Amorphophallus-
species first of all exclusively from SE-Asia. We had no knowledge of the
cultivation . But we had personal knowledge of the climatic conditions in
Malaysia and Sumatra, because we had made several trips to these countries.
It was out of the question that a dry period would be necessary.

And the Amorphos ( 3 forms or species? of the Am.beccarii-complex, Am.
manta ) grew well, went dormant individually and bloomed a.s.o. without
any dry period. We handled Am. prainii and especially a small specimen of
Am. titanum and of Am. gigas in the same manner without difficulties untill
today. The 2 latter species grow well but slowly, because we cultivate all
species indoors exclusively under inevitably relatively moderate temperature
conditions. One specimen of Am. prainii went dormant in humid soil for
3 years after blooming.

Even African species like Am. johnsonii and Am. eichleri, and Anchomanes
dalzielei also, grow and bloom without a dry period, though these species
originate from countries with distinct dry periods.

The advantage of a dry period seems to be the induction of synchronisation
of growth and especially of blooming for several specimen of the same
species. But this is not valid for all Amorphophallus-species.

Dietmar Kiehlmann

--