Re: [aroid-l] Adaptation (was The Orchid Thief)

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Adaptation (was The Orchid Thief)
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@arachne.uark.edu
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:37:27 -0600 (CST)

Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman?

Geez. "The Orchid Thief" in book form was more than a little off the
beaten path.

Add the writing/directing team that gave us "Being John Malkovich" (one of
the strangest films I've ever seen - highly articulate people have been
rendered speechless trying to describe it) and this could be one oddball

I've followed this thread with interest for years (lots of people I know
from the orchid side of the house as well as aroiders in Florida know many
of the people in the book). This should be an interesting twist.

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, brian williams wrote:

> Nicolas Cage stars in this comedic look at the life Charlie Kaufman, a Los
> Angeles screenwriter suffering from his embarrassing personal demons.
> Kaufman must endure his general feelings of inadequacy and frustration while
> putting up with the parasitic antics of his twin brother Donald (also played
> by Cage), but when his life collides with Susan Orlean (Meryl Streep), the
> author of "The Orchid Theif" (his current screenplay's subject matter) his
> previously tangled web becomes a cluster of ridiculous events in the pursuit
> of personal connection and passion. Adaptation is directed by Spike Jonze,
> and was written by…oddly enough, Charlie and Donald Kaufman.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu