Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus questions

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus questions
  • From: colin howells latisectus2003@yahoo.co.uk
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:56:54 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Rosalind, If you intend to grow your tuber's in pot's, then I would suggest that you use a soil based compost with plenty of added drainage material such as grit or gravel. The tubers do not like to be waterlogged they will rot. The garlic cloves are young tubers and can be potted up and grown on. Finally  add plenty of slow release fertilizer to build the corm up. Almost forgot, if it start's to flower indoors take it outside it smells terrible and will attract every fly in the vicinity .  Good  Luck,  Your's  Colin.    Rosalind <rozgold@pacbell.net> wrote:Hi folks!

I'm pretty much a lurker on this list, because I have just a few aroids as
houseplants. However, I saw some pictures of Dracunculus vulgaris, and had
one of those "can't live without them" reactions, so I purchased a few

I have some basic questions about planting the tubers - my apologies for my
extreme ignorance, or if these questions cover ground that his been covred
before on the list:

1) One side of the tuber has structures on it that basically look like
unpeeled garlic cloves - should they face upwards or downwards when I plant
the tubers?

2) Any suggestions on the type of potting mix I should use? I know these
plants can get big, but I'm going to start them in containers.

thanks so much for your suggestions and help -

-Roz, in Southern California