Re: [aroid-l] variegated aroids

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] variegated aroids
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" mmarcotr@email.smith.edu
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:31:55 -0500

Depends on whether the variegation is caused by pattern genes as in
Dieffenbachia or chimerism (genetic mosaics). Chimeras can be stable if
they are periclinal chimeras (rare in aroids). If the are splashy types
with wild segregation you select branches or divisions with a nice
variegated pattern. All green ones get thrown out, all white ones die if
disconnected from the parent plant.  I wrote a extensive review on this
subject if you want more info. Its in HORTSCIENCE vol. 32 Aug 1997. page
773-784.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
www.science.smith.edu/~mmarcotr
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> mrknight@charter.net 11/09/03 08:35PM >>>
I have been trying to increase my collection of some of the rarer
variegated aroids and have been told that variegation is not stable. Why
wouldn't it be stable if It has been grown like that for a time or found
in the wild that way? How would I keep it variegated?