[aroid-l] Non-Aroid Question - Hibiscus Trouble

Hello all-

I am sorry to bother the list with a non-aroid issue.  I do however know
that many of you are in South Florida, and I have an issue which has taken
me to the point of total desperation.  Therefore, please excuse this
divergence from correct topic matter and understand that I am at my wits
end.

I have an unstoppable problem with a large hibiscus growth, and all
traditional means of eradication have failed.  I was wondering if anyone is
familiar with the problem and if there is a known solution.

What happens is that this large growth constantly aborts flower buds or
does produce some flowers which are marred and destroyed.  Before you jump
to a quick conclusion, this isnt a thrip problem (Thrips are the common
cause of this kind of thing on hibiscus plants in Florida).  Upon
inspection of buds (tearing them open) I find what look like tiny worms.
The worms seem to be very active and actually “jump”.

To make a long story short, I have treated the plant with systemics 4 times
already each time spaced out by 7 days.  It seems to improve things but the
problem never completely goes away, and furthermore quickly returns.

I have also called multiple garden centers and they seem to claim to not
know what I am talking about.  As an aside, I was at my parents house
yesterday and I saw similar damage to a hibiscus tree which I gave the same
kind of inspection.  Found the same problem so I cant be the only one in
the world.

Anyone familiar with this issue, and/or have any suggestions how to stop it?

Thanks again.

Marc

http://mail2web.com/ .