Re: [Aroid-l] Arum pictum

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum pictum
  • From: "C. J. Addington" <cjaddington@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:03:38 -0800

Hello Sean, Tony and All!
    Just my two cents on Arum pictum - Anyone who lives in a milder climate
zone (7,8,9,10) should really try this species. It's a real charmer -
beautiful glossy leaves with an thin, elegant purple line all the way around
the leaf margins, and cute, dark blooms in fall when not much else is
blooming. It has a very different look from most other Arum species - much
richer, shinier, more textural leaves - and it is more vigorous than many
other species as well.
    Here in California it is fully hardy, pops up explosively at the first
sign of cooler weather, offsets like bunnies, and blooms at a young age. The
blooms are a tad rank if you stand down-wind ( a bit like a hot garbage can
in the summer that hasn't been cleaned for a while ), but the smell is
fleeting and doesn't carry that far. It does great in pots, but also seems
to thrive in the ground in our heavy clay soil. I have been spreading the
offsets of mine all over the garden for the past couple of years, and this
fall I have it popping up all over the place, even in a few places where I
swear I didn't plant it! It may turn out to be a noxious weed, but for now
it's really perking up my fall garden. I agree with Tony - superb, and well
worth trying.

C.J. Addington
Citrus Heights, California

PS - Tony, I just picked up Bobby Ward's new book "The Plant Hunter's
Garden". Great section in there on you and Plant Delights! Next time I make
it to the Carolinas, I am definitely planning on visiting.