[Aroid-l] anthuriums are not wimps

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] anthuriums are not wimps
  • From: "Don Bittel" donbit121@hotmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:12:19 -0500

I take exception to the comments from CA that anthuriums are wimps, and can't take temps below 70 degrees. I grow hundreds of anthuriums outdoors in central FL, even small seedlings, that take temps down to 40 or 45 with no damage. All but a small few have survived 33 to 35 degrees, and at least half have survived 25 to 30 degrees, (with heavy leaf damage). I only bring in the kings and queens when it will get below 40. and anth. coriacium survived 25 degrees with no damage at all.

  Maybe in CA it's the humidity they need, not the warmer temps.

The real wimps are those high elevation ones that won't grow in the states at all, except with special greenhouse conditions . And the biggest wimps are those alocasias, which melt in the summer from stemrot if it rains for a week, or go dormant as soon as the nites go below 50.

Don Bittel