Re: [Aroid-l] "black" zantedeschias

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] "black" zantedeschias
  • From: Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 05:14:01 -0800 (PST)

There are a whole new line of Black Zant's coming out of Holland, this I know as we're getting some bulbs in come spring for next years season here in Maine. They're 24"-32" and the deepest purple as to appear black as tar.
Will post the name as they come from either De Vroomen or Van Engelen, possible Van Bourgandien believe though its De Vroomen suppliers.
kfb maine

Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com> wrote:
I keep forgetting to ask about this ....

A few weeks ago I was wandering through a local warehouse club (Sam's). They
had an arrangement of the most impressive black zantedeschias I've ever seen.

They weren't truly black, of course, but easily the darkest I've ever seen,
looking black from any distance at all and without any lighter edge. And in a
lot of the darker varieties I've seen, the spathes haven't been that large -
looked like lots of rehmannii in them, to me, from the size and shape. But
these had larger spathes with a more open shape. I thought they were artificial
until I was within a couple of meters, and I had to scratch them to be sure
they weren't painted or otherwise artifically colored somehow.

The distributor rep happened to be there, and said they were grown either in
Costa Rica or Columbia - she wasn't sure which, and didn't know any more. They
got in only enough to do that one arrangement, and I've seen none since.

Anyone know what variety that might be? I've checked out "black callas" on the
web - lots of hits, but nothing as impressive as this one.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-l mailing list

Sponsored Link