RE: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Sanderiana dormant

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Alocasia Sanderiana dormant
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" crogers@ecoanalysts.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:58:37 -0800

I cannot speak on the A. sanderiana, as mine have never gone dormant, but
your Typhonium (formerly Saromatum) venosum must go dormant this time of
year in the northern hemisphere. When the leaves fall down completely, they
should come off with a slight tug. If not, then they are not quite ready.
After you remove the leaves, dig up the tubers, clean off all the soil and
roots, but be careful not to damage the growing bud at the top center. Let
the tuber air dry in a cool dry place, and leave it alone until spring, when
it should be re-planted. If the tubers are big enough, you will get a flower
sometime between January and April.

Happy days,

D. Christopher Rogers
Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist

EcoAnalysts, Inc.
(530) 406-1178
166 Buckeye Street
Woodland CA 95695 USA

? Invertebrate Taxonomy
? Invertebrate Ecological Studies
? Bioassessment and Study Design
? Endangered Invertebrate Species
? Zooplankton
? Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ? Bozeman, MT ? Woodland, CA ? Neosho, MO ? Selinsgrove, PA