Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. xanadu/Trademark Names

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philo. xanadu/Trademark Names
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:17:59 +0000

From : 	Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest <steve@exoticrainforest.com>
Sent : 	Tuesday, November 28, 2006 3:38 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Trademark Names/Aroid book

It was the other way around--Dr. Croat, who wrote the actual description of Philodendron xanadu Croat, Mayo + Boos, decided to us the 'patented' name, "Xanadu", as the specific name of this new Philodendron, which belongs to the group of 'self-heading' species the Meconostigmas, since it was already so well known and widely used in the commercial horticultural trade, where millions are sold every year, all originating from tissue culture.
I hope that this clears things up.

Can't argue that Xanadu may be trademarked but it is also a scientific name. You can find it on TROPICOS. I'm not sure how anyone can trademark a scientific name.

Philodendron xanadu Croat, Mayo & J. Boos

Steve Lucas