Lasioid spathes (samples) for research!!

  • Subject: Lasioid spathes (samples) for research!!
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:20:37 +0000

Dear All Lasioid growers out there,

 (Dracontium, Anaphyllopsis, Anaphyllum, Pycnospatha, Lasimorpha, Cyrtosperma, Podolasia, Lasia, and Urospatha---this is a call for assistance on behalf of a friend, David Broederbauer--

 He works in Vienna, and he is doing research on the surface of the spathes of the above-mentioned genera.   What he requires are samples of spathes.  He recomends that a portion of a newly opened spathe be cut away and affixed to a bit/sheet of cardboard w/ a label/writing as to the spacies, any collection data, etc. which MIGHT be available, and AIR-DRIED, too-high temps. (like the temps. in driers used to prepare herb. sheets) may damage the natural wax (?) coatings.  The rest of the spathe (if you don`t hand-pollinate the spadix) can be fixed in 70% alcohol, then placed in wet alcohol paper wrappings in a plastic zip-loc bag for shipping.
Without folks like David, and us assisting him, research on aroids sort of just dies, so I urge you guys ''out there''
(and we know who you are, AND we have ways to make you talk!  :--) ] who over the years have received plants through the kindness of collectors, etc. to respond to this small request and make David`s research worthwhile.
You can also contact our ''boss'', Dr. Tom Croat at MOBOT or myself off-l with questions, as Tom is also involved in attempting to obtain these samples for David.

Good Growing,

Aroid-L mailing list