Growing Aroids in Planted Ripariums

I'd be happy to answer any questions that might come to mind. I also have
a number of good riparium plants and I'd be glad to send you some cuttings
and divisions.

The riparium concept is apparently a new idea, so there aren't any
published books spacifically about riparium plant culture. However, many
of the same concepts and methods used for regular planted aquaria also
apply to ripariums, with the important difference that most of the plants
grow as emergents above the water surface. There are a few existing
references with good general information about aquariums, including
details on lighting, fertilization and plant selection. "Planted
Aquariums: Creation and Maintenance", by Cristel Kasselmann, is a good one
and available at Amazon.com.

I would suggest my blog as a source for information specifically about
ripariums. Here is the link to that site.

You can generally find the most current information, including
descriptions of riparium setups, about aquariums using the various online
forums. My favorite planted aquarium venue is "The Planted Tank Forums".

These riparium setups are a lot of fun and a good way to keep a collection
of shorter-statured semi-aquatic aroids and other emergent aquatic plants.
Since the plants grow up in the air they do not require carbon
supplementation, as they do in regular planted tanks, and other aspects of
aquarium maintenance, such as algae control, are also simplified.

Aroid-L mailing list