Re: Zamioculcas zamiifolia

  • Subject: Re: Zamioculcas zamiifolia
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:19:44 +0100

Dear Steve,
I can only guess that they call rhachis the part of the leaf with leaflets, as they describe that the petiole is 15-35 cm long. My plant's total leaf length is up to 120 cm. So possibly the petiole is the thick part without leaflets and the rhachis is the rest of the leaf.
"Botany the main axis or stem of an inflorescence or compound leaf"
In your page I would rather change "Philodendron" to "Amorphophallus" - a majority of the amateur growers of Amorphophallus call the petiole "stem".
 Although growers that are family with plants such as a Philodendron would likely call the petiole the "stem", in the case of this species the true stem is an underground rhizome(...)