Re: Chirality

  • Subject: Re: Chirality
  • From: Bob Burns <bobburns61@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 23:13:43 -0700 (PDT)

Don't know if this is germane to a discussion of chirality in aroids, but palms are distantly related.  When I was living in Bangladesh, where the coconut palm is common, I discovered that most  (say 19 of 20 or so) were one handed...the easiest way being to look where the flowering stalk came in relation to the leaf stalk immediately below it...to the right or to the left.  I was told that below the equator, in the Southern Hemisphere, the percentages reverse, and that this is due to the way the crown of the tree captures sunlight....one "handedness" being slightly more efficient in each hemisphere.  It stands to reason then, that, at the equator (provided sufficient generations from seed had gone by to reduce origin influences....which would be quite a while in the case of a coconut palm), that the percentage would be about equal, varying more and more in either direction, the further one got north or south.  I wonder if any exhaustive survey has been done on any plant about this issue, even with plants so extensively cultivated, and so obviously chiral, as the palms.   Since many tropical aroids also span the equator, maybe something like this is going on with them as well...
                              Bob Burns