Re: Tropical vegetation !

  • Subject: Re: Tropical vegetation !
  • From: "John Criswick" <criswick@spiceisle.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 20:28:56 -0800

Dear Eduardo,

How wonderful to be in touch with the great Eduardo Goncalves!

Sou admirador do Brasil e su linguagem. E voce fala muito bem ingles tambem.

Well the “tannia” as we call it is growing wild on the island of  Grenada, 12 degrees north, about 100 Km from the Venezuelan coast.

Tannia is the name applied to the cultivated cvs of Xanthosoma, of which the tubers are here cooked and eaten.

However, this Xanthosoma in the photo is not cultivated, but grows either indigenously or as a naturalised sp. in the high rainfall, forested mountains of Grenada. It is locally called Toyo.

As for the name X. mafaffa, I have seen this in Graf’s Exotica, and there is a similarity but I cannot say if they are the same.  I note that the name “mafaffa” appears to be Mexican.

Prompted by the late, and much lamented, Julius Boos of Trinidad and Florida, I preserved an inflorescence of “toyo” in alcohol and can send you photos if you are interested.

Com saudacoes cordiais,