Here in Grenada the native Dieffenbachia species is D. seguina.

I perhaps would not have thought very much about this were it not for the fact that Grenadians call these wild dieffenbachias, “seguin”, pronounced “siggin”. I’m aware that the name Seguina could be a surname, and the species simply named after someone with that surname.  But if that were the case, it is hardly likely that this surname would have entered the vocabulary of the French patois-speaking planters and slaves of Grenada.

Therefore I am wondering what is the significance of this specific name “seguina” and also why do Grenadians call dieffenbachias “siggin”.  Is anyone able to supply this information please?

John Criswick.

Aroid-L mailing list