Re: Philodendron aerial roots

..  Sure, aerial roots
>have a different epidermal layer than ones that are in potting media but
>that is only because they are in air and not in media.  But, when they find
>some type of media...  they change.

That's my point. My understanding is that subsurface roots are different
than aerial roots, even if the two zones exist on the same root. Burying the
aerial portion often leads to rot of the root. If the aerial portion hits
substrate and changes...I think the root is ok. Does this make any sense?

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D.        Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice:     414.569.1902  Telefax: same number, please call ahead.