RE: not-so-variegated Alocasia micholitziana variegata

I have witnessed this phenomenon in other species and have noted that
cuttings from a variegated plant that has reverted to green sometimes
regain their variegation after they become established.

What is the explanation for this? Could it be a genetic thing that is
somehow "switched" back on by the trauma of the propagation method?

Kind Regards,

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Z 5b