Re: Philo. "xanadu"

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Riffle <71270.3070@compuserve.com>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Monday, November 16, 1998 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: Philo. "xanadu"

>>Neil, Philodendron 'Xanadu' is a hybrid one of whose parents is
P. bipinnatifidu,/selloum ---- don't know the other parent.

Robert Lee Riffle, author of THE TROPICAL LOOK<<

Dear Robert,
Any idea where this story originated?  This is one of the stories that I
have heard before, and it may yet prove to be true, BUT!!!   P.
bipinnatifidum is a "giant" species,with huge (18"+) infloresences that are
green and "closed" along the spathe`s opening .  Buy shere luck I saw and
collected the first infloresences I have seen of P. "xanadu" just days
before the Aroid show in Miami two weeks ago, and they were born at the apex
of the seemingly old plant (4' ? tall), and were three in number.  We
subsequently found another plant in Miami in bloom, this time with two
infloresences, also at the plant`s apex.  The spathes are a shiny bright
dark purple, about 5" long (as in P. selloum/bipinnatifidium, this aprox.
measurement excludes the peduncle/flower stem), and the rounded tip of the
spadix "peeps" out of the spathe near its tip which is tightly closed around
it.   I really can not see any relationship/ resemblance between P. "xanadu"
and P. selloum, and question P. selloum being a parent .  Dr Birdsey
mentioned that he thought that P. "xanadu" might be a "sport" of P.
pinnatifidium, but not being a Philo. freak, and not being familiar with
this species, I have no opinion as to this thought.   The good news in all
this is that Dr. Croat has the infloresences at MOBOT, and will be comparing
them to other Philo. sps., so may come up with an answer for us all.