Re: Philo. "Xanadu"

Dear Scott,
Thank you so very much for the above information.   That it was said that
P."xanadu" was suspected to be the result of a "sport" grown from a seed of
P. "selloum" would explain some of the stories I`d heard about P. "xanadu"
being the same species as P. "selloum".  As luck would have it, the recent
collection of infloresences from two seperate plants of P. "xanadu", one in
W.P.B. and the other in Miami, show that with out a doubt that this plant
can not be P. "selloum", (see my post to Bob Riffle of 11/16 for a brief
discription of the differences between the infloresences of these two
species).   Tom Croat will examine and compare the infloresences of the
P."xanadus" we collected to other species to try for a positive I.D., and
I`d suggest he begin with P. pinnatafidium (excuse the spelling, no
reference at hand) which Dr. Birdsey suspects it may be.   We may also wish
to try to contact the original growers in Australia and ask what other
species of Philodendron they had at the time they sowed the seed.  It is
mentioned that it was grown from a collection of seed from the P. selloum,
and my guess would be that these seed were not produced in Australia, but
probably imported from a supplier of seed from S. America, and were probably
miss-labled or mixed with another species, hence the probable mix-up in
parentage names.

Time will hopefully tell!
Thanks to all, and lets keep "digging".
  Tom, let us know what you find out!