Re: black anthurium ?

  • Subject: Re: black anthurium ?
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador@midsouth.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:44:32 -0500 (CDT)

Yes, we did have great discussion about this plant last spring. I will put my
two cents in here since I was out of the country when it was apropos.

This plant is Colombian, #1. There is a great variance in its black quality.
Some are very black and some have a maroon color cast. I suspect the one in the
picture is an old flower and one that has more of a red cast to it. All are
very pretty but one has to accept that there is some variance in the 'black'
quality of the flowers. I know it is grown in Florida by one grower under a
mist system but in general, being honest, it is a difficult one to grow. I have
grown it here in mid America and flowered it. I fully agree that it is most
likely a fairly high altitude plant.

I brought a few back with me so if anyone is interested, they can get in touch
with me off line. All that I brought back were in flower so I could determine
the quality of the flower color. I went through hundreds of plants to pick the
best that were in bloom.