Re: xanthosoma mafaffa

  • Subject: Re: xanthosoma mafaffa
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:35:17 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Tony,

    I didnīt mention it just because I could not find a name for it! (Thatīs
quite simple...) I am completing an article about the cultivated Xanthosoma
and this is one of the "species" that doesnīt seem to have a Linnean name.
In fact, I do not know if it is a natural species. I am presently calling
Xanthosoma "Lime Green" or "Golden" or "Aurea" or "Lime Zinger" or whatever.
The only thing I know is that it doesnīt seem to be X. mafaffa, because of
vegetative and floral differences. In fact, true X. mafaffa is an elusive
species that doesnīt seem to be common in cultivation no more. It is
possible that this golden Xanthosoma is one of the species from the X.
atrovirens complex. I am still checking some aspects on it. By now, it is
better to keep the name exactly like it is.

                                 Very best wishes,

                                         Eduardo.