[aroid-l] Amorphophallus FAQ revised question

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus FAQ revised question
  • From: "Randy Story" story@caltech.edu
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 19:40:59 -0700

I have revised the second question of the FAQ by adding Dewey Fisk to the
list of Amorphophallus sellers.

I thought I would put a plug in for the Aroid trading post, particularly
since many of us are in the midst of harvesting tubers.  I would encourage
people to use it as a way of  trading or even giving away our surplus
offsets.  If you are stuck with, for example, surplus konjac offsets (it
looks like I will be) there are undoubtedly many people who would happily
take them.  They may not have anything to trade, but it's a great way to get
people interested in growing these things.

Revised question and answer:

Q.Where can I buy tubers?
A.  Below are companies that regularly sell 3 or more Amorphophallus

Plant Delights Nursery http://www.plantdel.com/
Dewey Fisk http://home.earthlink.net/~araceae/
(extensive list of species sent out every fall araceae@earthlink.net )
Cook's Carnivorous Plants http://www.flytraps.com
J.D. Andersen Nursery http://www.jdandersen.com/index.htm
Malesiana Tropicals http://www.malesiana.tropicals.com.my/index.html
Bjorn Malkmus' www.rareplants.de   http://www.rareplants.de

Amorphophallus tubers can often be found on the Aroid Trading Post
http://www.aroid.org/trading/index.html  Occasionally people will give away
their surplus tubers or offsets.

They can sometimes be found on Ebay.  The prices are sometimes below "market
value", sometimes not.  It is best to buy plants while they are dormant.