Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights
  • From: "Albert Huntington" amh@ieee.org
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:58:58 -0500

  The HID lights in question ( at least the metal halide ones )
are also used by the reef aquarium hobby.  They provide a lot of
lumens per watt of energy put in, and seem to be available in
spectra that plants ( and corals ) appreciate.

  I have had a 400 watt unit in operation over my reef tank for
quite a while and have not been visited by the DEA ( you would
think that massive potting soil purchases, huge electricity and
gas bill, and heated greenhouses would have garnered a little more
attention... )

  If you're considering getting one, you might also want to
consider the resultant increase in your electric bill.  400 watts
is basically ten flourescent lights crammed into about 1/60th the
space.  It gets hot and it eats a lot of energy.  Running one for
10 hours a day is 300 hours a month, or about 120 kilowatt hours.
I pay around 25 cents for each kwh, which adds $30 to my electric
bill each month.  A 1000 watt setup would add $75 to my bill - and
that's the reason why I don't keep more high light plants inside.

  Search the web for hydroponics stores and reef aquarium
suppliers, and you're sure to find a plethora of the devices for
sale ...

Best regards,

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net