[aroid-l] OT -- Cleopatra's Earrings' botanical name, anyone?

  • Subject: [aroid-l] OT -- Cleopatra's Earrings' botanical name, anyone?
  • From: "Planter Rik" planterrik@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:51:11 -0500

Some 25 years ago, I bought a Cleopatra's Earrings plant. It was like a bright green little agave (though clearly not an agave). Then it grew, spreading its leaves evenly up an eventually flopping, unmanageable stalk. Some time in between, when it was maybe a foot tall, it started sending out opposite pairs of stolons, ultimately tipped with little 'uns, like a Chlorophytum comosum/spider plant/airplane plant. Since the leaves were offset (I mean not directly over each other), the next set of opposite earings followed before long, forming another arc. I found it hard to keep up with or to find an attractive way to present it. I don't know what ultimately happened to it.

Sorry, Harry, but the worldwide web doesn't seem to know what we're talking about (assuming that your Cleopatra's Earrings are the same as mine was).

Nancy -- What beautiful blooms on the Princess's Earring tree! I wish I had had the Princess's rather than Cleopatra's. Do you know anything about availability of this tree or its cold hardiness?

< Not sure if this is the same as 'Princess's Earring' but this is Dichrostachys cinerea.
Nancy >

< I know that this is not an aroid but if anyone knows the the proper name for a plant called Cleopatra's Earring, I would be grateful.
Harry Witmore >

Choose an Internet access plan right for you -- try MSN! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp