Re: [aroid-l] Etymology of AROID <= ARUM <= ARON

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Etymology of AROID <= ARUM <= ARON
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:23:28 -0400

How in the world could the ancient Greeks have a word for a plant they did
not know existed. The wake robin is a North American plant and is not native
in any European area. Are we to believe that the ancient Greeks came to
America and named our wake robin, calling it aron? Theophrastus would really
have fun with this etymology. WGS

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL