Re: [aroid-l] HELP Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] HELP Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:36:32 +0200

Guys, this is probably the result of Fusarium infection. Fusarium settles in
the oputer layers of the tuber and prohibits that layer from growing as fast
as it should, hence the inner part of the tuber sort of "bursts" through the
suboptimal outer layer. It is a weakness disease and means that the plants
have not grown under optimal conditions. Next season, try to scrape off the
old, infested layers, which are usually a bit spongy/corky and replant and
try to optimise conditions. You may ask the horticultural experts in this
group if there is a pesticide in the USA for battling this. if the cracks
are too deep there IS the danger of desiccation during dormancy. You may
indeed want to seal the cracks with a paste.

Lord P.