[aroid-l] soil/media

  • Subject: [aroid-l] soil/media
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" mjhatfield@oneota.org
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:26:01 -0500

My tropical plants are now indoors, just in time because it snowed this
week. Now I'm trying to give them some attention but I find I really don't
know much about their requirements, especially the soil/mix in which they
should be grown. Any shared knowledge would be appreciated.

Deni Bown's "Aroids" says equal parts peat, loam, leaf mould and sand for
Philodendron. Would that apply to all the following?
Philodendron grandipes
Philodendron pterstum
Philodendron wendlandii

Most of these were identified, from photos, this summer at the Aroid
Extravaganza. Until now they've been kept alive but now I'd like them to

Also, how should Am. obscurus and Am. sumawongii (the IAS website says to
see Volume 19 but I can't find it there) be stored when dormant?

Thank you.
MJ Hatfield