Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph titanum flowering in Sydney, Australia

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph titanum flowering in Sydney, Australia
  • From: "Alistair Hay" <ajmhay@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:52:09 +1000

Hi Julius,

It was a baby at 1.33 metres. And yes its a sibling of many that have flowered much earlier in the US and Europe.

I attribute the long delay in getting ours to flower to the psychological trauma caused by the idea of applying NPK in the necessary quantities - most Australian plants are killed by even 'normal' quantities of these elements, especially Phosphorus.

Eventually the horticultural staff who look after our TAs rose to my challenge to kill a subset of our holdings by overfeeding! The result was pots toppling over as they bulged with swelling tubers, and one (at 15.5 kg) producing a flower.

Alistair