Re: [Aroid-l] Arum - minimum temperatures

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum - minimum temperatures
  • From: Arno Clement al.clement@planet.nl
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:53:43 +0200

Peter

I live in the Netherlands (zone 8) and have the following experience with these Aroids.

The leaf of Sauromatum venosum (Typhonium venosum) won't survive any frost with even one degree of frost they will die down. But this one is summer growing and there is no problem with winter. You can leave the tubers in the ground and they and so long they are deep enough they will survive in the garden.

The other Aroids are winter growing and the leaves of some of the species can have more frost than others.

Last year my Dracunculus vulgaris were outside with -6 C, the leaves did collapse and looked like boiled spinach and died. But the central growing point in the pseudostem did survive, it did not freeze enough to kill it, after the frost the plants develop new leaves. But I don't think that Dracunculus plants will survive a frost of -10C, than even the central growing point will freeze.

The leaves of Arisarum vulgare can only handle about -3C, when it freezes more they will die down.

When the leaves of Arum italicum, A. pictum and A. dioscoridis freezes they will collapse and they look like boiled spinach but when the frost is over they will completely recover. My plants have survived a frost of -10C and I think that they can handle more than that.

The Arum hygrophyllum plant will also collapse with frost, they plant will survive a frost of -5C and meaby more. But when the frost is over the plant will stay down, the leaves will turn to the light but it is not a nice plant any more.

Most of the tubers will not survive any frost, even -1C will kill them, but when you plant them deep enough they will not freeze.

I hope that this will help.

With best wishes,
Arno Clement