RE: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma atrovirens info.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma atrovirens info.
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:32:56 +0000

From : 	Frank <f_h_bln@gmx.net>
Sent : Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:52 AM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Dear Frank,

Based on my observations of the rhizomes offered for sale here in West Palm Beach, Florida, it would appear that this species does not produce the flask-like off-sets/rhizomes/tubers as do the other species of edible Xanthosomas, and that the portions offered for sale are lower portions of the main rhizome, NOT off sets, and the cultivation of this species, like some species of Colocasia ('dasheen-types") depends almost soley on re-planting the upper growing-point portion of the plant. Therefor I believe that it may not produce as many off-sets/propagules as the other species. I did see a few propagules that were produced off the main rhizome of my plants, this took several months. I tried twice to grow this plant in a 3 gal. pot to try to get it to bloom, but it was such an attractive plant that both times it was stolen by laborers!
The Best,
Julius

Thanks for your detailed information. I didn't check the colour of the
rhizome flesh before planting....Does someone know if it is likely that the
plant forms new tubers in pot culture (have put it in a huge pot) and how
long this would take? I live in Germany and keep the plant indoors during
winter (warm and bright place). Thanks for info.
Best

Frank