C. gaoligongensis/C. walawalabingbang.

  • Subject: C. gaoligongensis/C. walawalabingbang.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:56:04 +0000

>From : 	Marek Argent <abri1973@wp.pl>
Sent : 	Saturday, October 6, 2007 5:12 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] C. gaoligongensis?/Pete /THANKS

Hello Marek,

All in good fun.   Potatoes are much more expensive in my tropical  homeland
(Trinidad and Tobago) than Colocasia or Xanthosoma rhizomes/corms, and
potatoes don`t TASTE nearly as good as Colocasia corms!!!
Colocasia "walawalabingbang"---for the benifit of us too young to recall,
the word 'walawalabingbang' refers to an OLD humorous pop-song from the late
1950`s or `60`s called ''The Witchdoctor", it came out the around the same
time as the funny song,  ''The one-eyed, one horned, flying Purple
people-eater''.
In trying to pronounce and say the name ''Colocasia gaoligonensis'', the
difficulty I encountered in wrapping my tongue around THAT one somehow
brought the song with the word ''wala-wala-bing-bang'' contained in it to my
mind!

Julius

>>Hello Julius,
Don't you have potatoes? These rare tubers of Colocasia galabalalala you can
  sell on ebay or send me as a gift :)
Marek<<

  Thanks Pete,
  I KNEW that you`d have an answer!
  BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Can I/we eat it???  Huh???  Huh Pete, can I eat
it,  cook it and eat it???   Huh?  Huh??  Huh Pete??  Edible???   Huh
Pete???
  :--)

  Colocasia walalwalabingbang (AKA Julius)