Re: Spathicarpa-summer/winter dormancy

  • Subject: Re: Spathicarpa-summer/winter dormancy
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:53:00 +0000

> Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:14:39 -0700
> From: tindomul1of9@yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Spathicarpa question

Dear Friend,

When I grew this genus I stopped watering by slowly tapering off the amount of water I put on them starting around November (I live in S. Florida).
This caused the leaves to turn yellow and fall off.   I then left them dry in the soil till around April-May (Spring in S. Florida) at which time I dug the tubers up, made divisions, and re-potted in new soil.  This method was VERY sucessful with these most interesting and beautiful minature aroids.
This time-table also, I THINK, may correspond with the presumably hot/dry summer in the areas of South America where they occur naturally and would go dormant at this time.
Perhaps you could remove the tuber you have from the terrarium together with the surrounding soil/roots etc.. and put this in a small pot, then allow the whole thing to slowly go dry and dormant?

Good Growing.

>> Thank you for the help.  Now I really want to get a copy of that book.  Hehe.  Thanks for the info as well.  Now that I know where it hails from, I have a better idea of its life history.  Do you know if dry season over there is during their summer or winter?  I assume summer.  Should I remove the tuber/corm and give it a rest as I would a Calla lily or will it be fine in soggy soil I have had it growing in for the last 7 months?
Aroid-L mailing list