C. gigantea-inflorcenses are arranged distichously

  • Subject: C. gigantea-inflorcenses are arranged distichously
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:42:05 +0000

> From: abri1973@wp.pl
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:17:15 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gigantea-unusual inflorcense arrangement

Dear Marek, Eric and Friends,

Sorry, I did miss the jpegs, but have just checked them, and the arrangement of the inflorescences in a ''flat plane'' may better be refered to as them being produced "distichously'', meaning in a flattened, fan-like form.   I had to use this word in describing the growth form of the Lasioid Dracontioides desciscens whose leaves are produced in this way (Aroideana Vol. 20, pg. 17).
I believe that others have explained that this particular clone of Colocasia gigantia consistently produces its multiple blooms in this way, unlike a commoner clone.

Good Growing,

Julius