Re: Amorphophallus kiusianus fresh ripe seeds germination

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus kiusianus fresh ripe seeds germination
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:49:13 -0400

John,

Answers to your questions embedded in your original email:

>I am looking for information on the proper way to germinate
> Amorphophallus Kiusianus seeds. These seeds were freshly harvested
> recently and A friend of mine whose computer is not working asked me
> to pose this question.
>
> Do the seeds need to dry out before germination will take place or
> must they be sown right away before they dry out?

seeds of ALL species of Amorphophallus should be kept as moist as
possible!!!!!!!
and should be planted as quickly as possible and kept moist

> Does the pulp surrounding the seeds ned to be removed before sowing?

most likely yes........although I have never planted any with the pulp left
on.

Am. henryi and kiusianus are notorious for taking months, even a couple of
years
to germinate, especially when planted in pots.
Last fall I planted a handful of both these species out in the garden and
late this
spring the sprouted enmass!  I can't say for sure if going through a US zone
7 winter speeded
up the sprouting process or not.

Alan