Making the public aware of aroids.

  • Subject: Making the public aware of aroids.
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 06:42:56 -0500

I'd like to know if any of you know any magazine or newspaper publisher that I can approach about an article on aroids as houseplants?  Actually, my idea is to just do an article on houseplants but make it feature aroids.

I used to write for magazines all the time but have been out of that field for the past 9 years.  I personally believe we need to begin to make people that love growing plants have a better understanding of what an aroid actually is.  When I have people over to see our collection few have any idea that many of the plants they already grow including Spathiphyllum, Caladium, Calla Lily, Philodendron species including "scandens" and "micans" plus all those "Flamingo Flowers" in their living rooms and kitchens are some of the plants we love to grow and call an "aroid".  To the general public the word "aroid" is vague and quite non-descript so we need to fill in the blanks.

Several years ago a small magazine did a feature article on our backyard "rain forest" and the hits to my ExoticRainforest website went through the roof for a month.  The chances are immense that we can introduce many of the other species most of us enjoy including Amorphophallus and others to the world of house plant growers.  My little website has over 20,000 individuals each month read one or more pages and most of them want to know how to grow a Philodendron or Anthurium.  If you have a contact in the publishing world please make it known since we all need to help spread the word.

You can help spread the word by either writing an article for a local publication or even by participating on one of the plant discussion groups on the net.  Send a note to your local garden editor and suggest an article on the species you like to grow but do your best to help that writer explain what an aroid is so the public will learn and understand.  The more we talk about our plants the more others will want to grow them as well.

Many plant societies have very large memberships because they manage to get good publicity.  The largest succulent group in the U.S. which is the Cactus and Succulent Society of America has many more members than the IAS and they're growing plants that (in my opinion) aren't anywhere close to the beauty of an aroid.  Palm, Cycad, orchid societies and local groups get space in local newspapers as well as magazines all the time so why shouldn't we take advantage of the free publicity?

And by the way, while you're planning your Christmas gift list please consider giving an International Aroid Society membership to a high school or college student that is showing an interest in plant collecting or botany.  If you have a friend that admires your plants consider giving them one as well.  You can find all you need to do that here:
Click Here  Your help would be great for the plants, the recipient and for the IAS.   Besides, the cost of an IAS membership is a very inexpensive gift.

Since I'm the corresponding secretary of the IAS I'll gladly send them a note letting them know of your gift.  Just send me a note with an address and tell me when you'd like the note to be delivered.  Steve@ExoticRainforest.com

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list