Re: Coconut husks

There's no need to get hung up about coconut husk for Anthurium.  The main
point about the coconut husks relates to the natural growth habit of
Anthurium.  Many Anthurium sp. grow naturally as epiphytes and their roots
are adapted to a highly aerated, relatively nutrient poor, wet but not
water-logged growing medium.  This has implications for how to grow them
well.  So, for example, commercial growers of Anthurium andraeanum cut
flowers (who have to grow their plants really well) use a very highly
aerated, very freely draining growing medium.  But what an individual
grower will use will depend on where they are and what material is
available locally.  Thus in Hawai'i growers tend to use volcanic cinders or
macadamia shells.  In Mauritius they tend to use sugar cane trash.  In
Holland they tend to use rockwool.  In Trinidad & Tobago they tend to use
partially crushed coconut husks as mentioned by Julius Boos.  The nature of
the substrate is not very important, the root environment is.

It's certainly possible to grow Anthurium in pots in compacted garden soil
(I think Dewey Fisk would call it 'dirt') but in my experience they look
pretty sick as compared to those growing in an aerated, freely draining
medium.

David Constantine
drc@globalnet.cu.uk
2 High Street