Re: Seeds of A. titanum and possible propagation


Unhappily I have no plant material to exchange as I am a newcomer to the
aroids, but I am interested in A. titanum seeds.  Perhaps I could trade a
little US currency?
Clark Weston  <bk161@rgfn.epcc.edu>


----------
> 
> Dear Aroiders,
> 
> as growing season is coming to its end this year I checked my plant 
> material which I would like to trade this year.
> 
> Here is what I can offer:
> Amorphophallus rivieri var. konjac - 1 year old  rhizome tubers
> Amorphophallus titanum - seeds (from this fall)
> Arum maculatum var. imaculatum - adult  tubers, flowered this year
> Calla palustris - seeds (from this fall)
> Dracunculus vulgaris - adult corms, flowered this year
> [and probably  Dracunculus canariense - 2 year old corms]
> 
> Material will be available by the end of October. By the experiences 
> I made last year there shoud not be any problem in exportation of 
> these plants to the US. 
> If anyone of you should be interested, please contact me at: 
> malkmus@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de
> 
> I am specially interested in:
> Amorphophallus spec.
> (except bulbiferum, konjac, maximus, muelleri, titanum)
> 
> Arisaema spec.
> (except triphyllum, dracontium, candidum)
> 
> Arum spec.
> (except  maculatum, elongatum, italicum)
> 
> Biarum, Dracontium, Pseudodracontium and probably others as well.
> 
> To make another contribution to this discussion list, following an 
> expericence I made with a possible new (?) propagation method of 
> Amorphophallus titanum: 
> In October last year I made two rectangular cuts of about 1cm each in 
> the center of one corm of A. titanum (which was about 10 cm in 
> diameter). I left it for two weeks at the air to let dry wounds a 
> little bit and hence replanted the corm. In late May this year the 
> plant showed first signs of new life, trying to produce "some kind of 
> leaves" (which were at that point rather "miscreated"), yet in 
> the course of this summer three healthy leaves were produced, each 
> coming out of a different part from the top of the corm. When I 
> removed the earth this month three independent "corms" could be seen, 
> each of them already about 2 cm in diameter,  which should lead into 
> three separate plants at the end of its current growing period. 
> My question to you  is: does anyone has made a similar experience (by 
> cutting or accidentally hurting corms) ? 
> Maybe this could be a safe and easy method to propagate this specie. 
> Couldn't it be ? I didn't want to risk all of my plants, so I tried 
> it on only one of them ... and until now I used this method only to 
> propagate several taxa of some genus of Hyacinthaceae. Please let me 
> know you annotations or experiences.
> 
> Best wishes
> 
> 
> 
> Bjorn Malkmus
> International Relations Office
> Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz
> D-55099 Mainz
> Germany
> 
> *************************************************************************
> malkmus@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de
> Tel.: ++49-6131-392902      Fax: ++49-6131-395548
> *************************************************************************
> 
> 





Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index