Re: Alocasia macrorrhiza berrry color

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Croat <>
To: <>
Date: Thursday, October 08, 1998 11:33 PM
Subject: Alocasia macrorrhiza berrry color

Has anyone seen mature fruit on Alocasia macrorrhiza and if so
what color are the berries.  I have them reported as whitish though I
honestly don't know where I came up with this and a reviewer of my
description says he thinks they may be orange.  I would really
appreciate a reply from anyone who has more intimate knowledge of this

Dear Tom,
The color of A. macrorrhizos berries is red.  This is what I have observed,
and is listed in Hay and Wise`s paper on the genus---"The genus Alocasia
(Araceae) in Australasia", Blumea 35 (1991) 499-545.
  Pg.533--- "fruit a few-seeded red berry exposed by the recurved segments
of the dehiscing lower spathe".
A few years ago Dewey sent me a couple of excellent photos of a huge plant
in fruit exactly as discribed by Hay (above), which were done by one of his
friends, so I sent them to Alistair for I.D., and they turned out to be this
Hope this is of help.  Look forward to seeing you at the show.

Thomas B. Croat, Ph.D.
P.A. Schulz Curator of Botany
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299
phone: 314-577-5163; fax 314-577-9596; email