Re: Alocasia macrorrhiza berrry color

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Croat <croat@mobot.org>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Thursday, October 08, 1998 11:33 PM
Subject: Alocasia macrorrhiza berrry color

>>Aroiders:

Has anyone seen mature fruit on Alocasia macrorrhiza and if so
what color are the berries.  I have them reported as whitish though I
honestly don't know where I came up with this and a reviewer of my
description says he thinks they may be orange.  I would really
appreciate a reply from anyone who has more intimate knowledge of this
species.

Tom<<

Dear Tom,
The color of A. macrorrhizos berries is red.  This is what I have observed,
and is listed in Hay and Wise`s paper on the genus---"The genus Alocasia
(Araceae) in Australasia", Blumea 35 (1991) 499-545.
  Pg.533--- "fruit a few-seeded red berry exposed by the recurved segments
of the dehiscing lower spathe".
A few years ago Dewey sent me a couple of excellent photos of a huge plant
in fruit exactly as discribed by Hay (above), which were done by one of his
friends, so I sent them to Alistair for I.D., and they turned out to be this
species.
Hope this is of help.  Look forward to seeing you at the show.
Cheers,
Julius
ju-bo@msn.com

--