Request from Deni Bown

Most of you are aware that Deni Bown is writing a new book on our favorite
plant family. Deni, who is not on Aroid-L, has asked for a bit of final
assistance in obtaining answers to some questions, all of which are in her
message below. If you can help her she will be very appreciative.

Certainly some of the questions she is asking may create some debate on the
list, and that of course is welcome. But, in the end someone needs to
contact her via the means she mentions. And certainly anyone may do so if
they wish.

See Deni's message below.

Dear colleague, fellow aroider, aroid nut....

Please excuse this urgent appeal.  I am a desperate woman!!

By the time the Aroid Conference took place in August, I had already
delivered the manuscript of the revised edition of Aroids - Plants of the
Arum Family to Timber Press for publication in autumn/fall 2000.  As you can
imagine, the timing was most unfortunate as I knew the Conference would
up new information and queries.

Currently I am going through the proofs and to my surprise the Editor has
just agreed that I can make last-minute additions.

I am therefore writing to ask if you would help me bring the revised edition
as up-to-date as possible by sending information about any VERY RECENT
DISCOVERIES, TAXONOMIC CHANGES etc. or anything else you consider of crucial
importance for inclusion.  It may be that I might already have included it -
your information will help me check.

I would also be very grateful for further information on the following notes
I made (in the dark!) during the Conference.  References, or better still,
copies of papers by email attachment, fax (0044 1362 694929) or snailmail to
Yaxham Park, Yaxham, Norfolk NR19 1RD, UK, would be much appreciated.  Any
information sent without references will be credited PERS. COMM., OK?

I know you may be too busy, but please try to help if you can.  Your
contribution will help inspire the next generation of aroiders!

Many many thanks and kind regards,

Deni Bown

Acorus americanus - I have a note that this species is possibly endemic.  Is
this what used to be known as var. americanus?  If so, when was the name
changed, and have other varieties been changed too?  (All the original
information about Acorus is retained in the revised edition, with latest
taxonomic changes added.)

Aglaonema fumeum - more info please.

Alocasia nebula/'Elaine' - and any other new species with ornamental
 - descriptions please

Anthurium cut flower industry - any statistics on value worldwide or country
by country.

Anthurium splendidum - now A. luxurians?

Dieffenbachia berries are edible - is this true?

Gearum brasiliense - my note says it grows in hyperseasonal savannah.  Is
this correct, and if so, what is this?

Gymnostachys - latest thinking - any further developments?

Hapaline benthamiana - more info please.

Homalomena - more info. on H. humilis, H. minutissima, H. occulta.  Is 80%
new species correct?

Ornamental aroids - what's new and best?  I need more detailed information
than is available on websites, i.e. full descriptions of habit, foliage,
inflorescences - colour, texture and most important, dimensions - and USP.
There is a new appendix of Cultivated Aroids.  It was put together very
quickly as a last-minute addition and some of the information on latest cvs,
hybrids etc. is very sketchy.  Some information I was promised (by breeders)
has never been sent, so I can't include some of the taxa on their websites.

Pedicellarum - latest thinking?

Peltandra virginica - details of association with Elachiptera formosa.  Also
info on butterfly + Montrichardia and moth + Acorus.  I have nothing on this
and it is VERY interesting.  On another aspect - the variegated form - type
of variegation?

Pothos macrophyllos - I have a note that this is included in P. gigantipes.

Pseudodracontium - sunk into Amorphophallus? When and by whom?

Rhaphidophora - is revision finished?  What should I make sure to include?
R. angustata - largest leaves in genus - how big?

Schismatoglottis patentinervia, S. petri - descriptions please.

Thank you, Deni