ARCORUS AND ARACEAE??

Dear Deny and Tsuh Yang Chen

There is plenty molecular and non-molecular evidence for the separation of
Acorus from Araceae.  Acorus may be isolated from all other monocots.
Acorus is not in Araceae.

It is nice to mention Acorus together with Araceae due to historical
reasons.  But it would be as reasonbable to mention Acorus together with
Alismatales (sensu APG 98).

Where to put Acorus at the end, I don't dare to say.

Have a pleasant fall

Matyas

At 19:04 22.10.99 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/21/1999 11:05:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>donburns@macconnect.com writes:
>
>> Acorus americanus -
>
>excuse my ignorance, but i thought Acorus were found to be definitely NOT
>related to araceae at all.  am i mistaken?
>
>tsuh yang chen, nyc

Matyas Buzgo                                        /_ 7
Institute of Systematic Botany                    (*)/(*)
University of Zurich           buzgo@systbot.unizh.ch
Zollikerstr. 107               Ph:  +41-1 63 484 32
CH-8008 Zurich                 Fax: +41-1 63 484 03
Switzerland                    http://www.unizh.ch/~buzgo