IAS auction coming up

Although we currently do not have the list ready yet of the plants
that will be available for this years IAS auction, I thought I
might go ahead and send out a 'pre-announcement'.  Since so many
people get paid at the end of the month, you can use this
'pre-annoucement' as a reason to go ahead and allocate a larger
portion of your budget for plant-bidding  :)

Once we have the list available, the message below will be put
out on Aroid-l.  So start saving those coins!

There will be an Auction at the IAS Meeting this September.  The
auction is typically held after the banquet on Saturday evening.  This
year the banquet, auction, and lectures will be held on September 23.

The following plants will be auctioned to the highest bidder....

  < Insert list of plants here >

  *** We are working as quickly as possible to get this list together ***

Now, the auction will work this way....  you send me a bid... the highest
that you would be willing to pay for the plant.  If the bidding on the
floor stops at $50.00 and your bid to me was $100.00, you will get the plant
for $55.00, if the bidding on the floor has been in $5.00 increments.  If the
bidding has been in $1.00 increments, you would get the plant for $56.00.
Actually, I will be bidding for you as the auction is actually happening,
but, I will not exceed your maximum bid.   If your bid is successful, I
will notify you and you can send the IAS a check and the plant will be
mailed to you.  If there are any questions on this procedure, send an
e-mail directly to me, alan_galloway@ncsu.edu.  Please do NOT hit the reply
button and clog up the list.

Important!!!!  If you care to make a bid...

Send me a PRIVATE  E-MAIL to <alan_galloway@ncsu.edu> with AUCTION  as the
subject.  In the body of the message indicate which plant you are bidding on
and the maximum amount that you will pay for it.  And feel free to bid on
as many plants as you would like.  Rememer, this is a means of raising much
needed funds for the IAS organization.

I will check my e-mail as late as 11:00 pm eastern time on Tuesday, Sept. 19
to see if there are any further bids.

Alan Galloway                                 alan_galloway@ncsu.edu
Assistant Director for Systems
Information Technology
North Carolina State University           http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan
Campus Box 7109                                 (phone) 919-515-5483
Raleigh, NC  27695-7109                         (fax)   919-513-1893