Re: non-aroid search

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: non-aroid search
  • From: Jim Singer <jsinger@igc.org>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:07:40 -0500 (CDT)

this is no answer, les, but it may help in a rule-out. in the trade here in
south florida, 'dwarf bird' means reginae and [non-dwarf] 'bird' means
'nicholai.' betrocks 'plantfinder' [aka trade bible] lists no variation of
either. on the other hand, there is a faux bird, heliconia brasiliensis,
that meets the 3-foot requirement and, from a distance, resembles s.
reginae. my local home depot had these for sale weekend before last for
$2.49 per 6-in pot; nice full plants. if you think that's it, i'll try to
get one [may not be any left] and send it to you. but i'll need a post
address. jim

At 07:17 PM 9/5/00 -0500, Lester Kallus wrote:
>I've had so much help on non-aroid requests in the past that I'm driven to
try again.
>There's a plant I've been trying to locate but have been unsuccessful.
>I understand that there's a dwarf form of Strelitzia reginae which grows
less than 3 feet high.  Does anyone know of any sources?  (I probably don't
have enough room for yet one more plant, but why should I let that stop me...)
Himself @ jsinger@peacenet.org