Re: What soil for Alocasia?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: What soil for Alocasia?
  • From: "Dany Hervelle" <bs246466@skynet.be>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:03:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Miguel

Alocasia prefer a well drained mix,not really important in condition that
this let
the water go down!I have a large colletion of that genera and all are
growing with a mix with a lot of perlit(sometime 50/100 !)
The problem with alocasia is that they are very prompt to fungus attack,and
mix that is to compact with addition of a temporal lowest temperature may
make die the plants rapidly!I have see also some very large plants that were
growing in a not really good draining soil,and like you say the plants,the
plants seem growing
faster and bigger.But there are only some of them who may be growing like
Most of the alocasia are epyphyte or lythophyte and probably will die
rapidly with
that kind of growin'.An other solution,if you like large plants,is to
contact David scherberich(he is on the list),who is working with the
botanical garden of nancy(france);I have see plants there that are really
growing large.He say me that he have a special 'mixture'!

Dany from Belgium