Re: titanum update

  • Subject: Re: titanum update
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:41:26 -0500 (CDT)

Clark:

	With regards to dormancy of A. titanum, we also have plants from Symon's
original seed collection.  We have never had any problem forcing them into
a standard dormancy pattern in fall.  By allowing them to remain outdoors
until temps reach around 35 degrees F., then bringing them indoors, they
will all go dormant within a couple of weeks.  After nearly 10 years of
this routine, we have had perfect success.  They usually re-emerge between
June and July. I hope this helps for those without a conservatory.

>1. The individual leaf lasts about two years under these conditions.
>The rest period between leaves is variable, but at least 3 months in
>my experience, regardless of watering conditions. I have yet to
>figure out if anything other than age triggers dormancy. I have the
>plants growing side by side and they enter dormancy when they please
>unsynchronized.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden