[aroid-l] non aroid plant question..

  • Subject: [aroid-l] non aroid plant question..
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:55:43 -0400

Hi All-

I have a non aroid plant question.

As many of you are aware, members of the nightshade family, are capable of
"transmitting" certain chemical compounds through their root systems to each
other.

(For example.. if you plant a tobacco plant next to a tomato plant, you get
poisonous tomatos with high nicotine content).

(For those of you who didnt know this... yes it is true).

I have some brugmansias growing in an area which I am looking to remove so
that I can grow some hibiscus in order to feed the blooms to my iguanas (they
like hibiscus blooms)..  If I remove the brugmansia and put the hibiscus in
its place, is there any shot that some of the poisonous compounds of the
brugmansia (via roots left in the area, or saturation of the soil) will be
taken up by the hibiscus?

I know it sounds weird, but I would appreciate the input.

Marc