Re: [aroid-l] Synandrospadix

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Synandrospadix
  • From: "Randy Story" story@caltech.edu
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:51:00 -0700

Hi Leo,

I somehow happened to be in Phoenix twice when they hit record temperatures
of 117 F (47 C), if I remember right, so I understand how much worse it
can get!

Regarding the broadening of the definition of "cactus and succulent": at the
Cactus and Succulent show where I found the Synandrospadix earlier this
year, I was surprised to see an Amorphophallus konjac as one of the
exhibits.  It was just sending up two or three not fully opened leaves.
Rather striking, actually.  But a succulent...?

Your suggestion that beer contributed to the "feeding frenzy" at the
symposium plant sale reminds me of a well-known carnivorous plant nursery
north of San Francisco.  The nursery, California Carnivorous, until a few
months ago was located in the Sonoma county wine country, literally attached
to the Mark West winery (the winery even had Sarracenias on their tasting
counter).  A very dangerous situation.  I remember buying a couple of
plants, tasting a bit of wine, and then running back for more plants that I
just "had" to have.

Great to hear the symposium was such a success.  The Huntington with its
amazing gardens, shows, sales, etc. is really an incredible asset out here.
We are truly spoiled.

Randy