[aroid-l] The Aroid Taste & Smell Garden

  • Subject: [aroid-l] The Aroid Taste & Smell Garden
  • From: "Ron Iles" roniles@eircom.net
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:32:39 +0100

Here are my tentative suggestions on Spathiphyllum for the Garden of Taste &
Smell Memorability (Mnemonic = GOTASM?)

1.  The most perfumed Spathiphyllum are in Section Massowia (S. cannifolium
& S. commutatum) followed by some in Section Spathiphyllum.

2.  Species Section Amomophyllum with reflexed spathes have little or no
perceptible to me.

3. IThe priority is to secure maximum stocks of all the wild species in
cultivation together in single places.  One then has heterogeneity, the
perfume of Section Massowia, the dark green foliage of Section Spathiphyllum
& the exquisitely reflexed spathes, distinctive foliages & elegant spadices
of species of Section Amomophyllum?  It seems that apart from size variation
are commonly homogeneous with reduced or no perceptible perfume.  It would
seem good if hybridisation took account of all the species in the genus

4. It would be good to know which forms are safely edible & how palatable
they are. When I have adequate colonies & all are in flower, lavishly paying
guests are invited to this humble abode to be guinea pigs & rate their good
taste on a scale of minus ten to plus ten with Durian & Titanum fruit being
the lower & upper reference points?

5. Since Aroid-L cannot handle tastes & smells please send your samples for
identification in a well sealed envelope to the address below. SWAK.